First and foremost, my warm thanks to my bosses (RD&YB) for having "strongly" supported the decision to send me on international assignment in Perth WA where Rio Tinto Iron Ore offices are located.
I am here in the framework of what we call internally at simandou the "national development program"
This initiative has been thought to enhance the development of young guineans by sending them to existing Rio Tinto operations around the globe particularily Iron Ore operations, in order to have a real vision of how Rio Tinto operates a mine with high standards of Health Safety Environment and Communities processes.
Although Guinea has rich mineral resources, the country does not have the real mining culture as it is the case for example in Australia. As Simandou is a "country changing" project, this initiative aims at generating the mining culture that will enable young guineans to efficiently lead the future operations of what will be a world class mine. Before that, we need also to ensure that the construction phase is a succesfull one given the importance of challenges (safety,technical skills, infrastructure, community etc.)
My intention with this blog is to share with you my experience in this "adventure" in every sense of the term and show practically how this is being beneficial to me.
The smooth landing of the Emirates B777 300ER on saturday 19 Jan 13, sounded to me as a signal of the cool side of this wonderful western australian city of Perth.
At 1700 hrs, the temp was 31 deg celcius. When the immigration lady handed over my passport after usual visa check, she added with a smile that I would not need the coat I was carrying.. Lol
KS, the training manager for Iron Ore, was at the airport to welcome me and take me to 101, Murray St Perth CBD. Thanks to him for this honour... :)
Two days after my arrival, I am still suffering from jet lag... It is not easy to deal with given that Aus is 8 hours ahead of Guinea. The guinean collegues that I found here told me that this sufferness may last up until a week... My challenge is to get my brain accointed in max 4 days. Will update you about this in another post.
Sunday 20/01. After a big sleep, my colleague Zeze from the Simandou Geology operations dept (he is here since early dec) took me to woolworths to get some stuffs to cook. Oh yes, this is a reconnection to my life in France when I was a student from 2000 to 2006. :)
Monday 21/01. Induction day. I have the whole week to spend at the Rio Tinto training facility in Belmont. We go through sessions in which new comers (I am not that much a new one in Rio Tinto but in Perth indeed I am) are provided with info on Rio Tinto as a group, HR info, Health and Safety standards (isolation, lock holder...). I know, this may sound unfamiliar to those who are not in a mining environment. If you want further details on this please ask and I will provide you with appropriate internet links.
I also opened my bank account to the Australian National Bank (NAB).
while writing this post, my eyes are asking for some sleep again.......
This evening, I will take the opportunity to have a walk in Perth CBD just to identify my way to the Rio Tinto office located on St Georges Terrace as I will start work formally next monday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment